All new businesses find different struggles as they grow. Most often this is due to a lack of knowledge in particular areas and a lack of funds to hire staff or outsource these issues to the experts. These performance tips will help you learn, grow and thrive in business.
- Have clear goals in place and an action plan of how to achieve them. This should be a living document which is regularly reviewed and updated. We have found that we achieved the most when we kept our goals in mind and worked on them on a daily basis.
- When you review your goals consider the areas that you really need to concentrate on. As a new business, we found that the hardest thing for us was marketing, as this is an area we had little experience in. Once you have identified the area/s you really need to spend time and effort on, consider what support you can access. There are plenty of low (or even no) cost services out there which can support you. We found a business incubation unit at our local University which has provided us with invaluable help in terms of knowledge and business support.
- Don’t forget to reward yourself for your successes! In the UK, in particular, we have a tendency to dwell on our failures and forget our successes! Learn from your successes, as well as your failures. For example, if you were successful in something because you took a new approach, can you adopt that approach in other areas?
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help! Often other business owners will be pleased to help. They may even be prepared to work in collaboration with you to achieve common goals, or perhaps you can trade services for mutual benefit?
- Don’t underestimate how long and how hard you may have to work to run a successful business. Success very rarely happens overnight! Stay positive!
- Be passionate about what you are doing. If you are not passionate about the services or goods that you are marketing, potential clients/customers will not be either!